Best Protein Skimmers – Ultimate Buying Guide
A protein skimmer or foam fractionator is the key filtration equipment for your saltwater aquarium which is likely to get dirty with harmful substances & organic compounds accumulated over time. This is because of the type of food you feed your fish, so it is vital to have the best protein skimmer to be a Life Support System for the fish, providing stable conditions to the aquarium that must be filled with high-quality water at all the times.
In this day and age, the protein skimmers are so much effective, valuable and helpful that these are commonly used instead of a mechanical filter. A protein skimmer is designed to remove waste materials from the water column by producing air bubbles collected in a collection cup.
A skimmer generates, in a method called foam fractionation, millions of small bubbles which rise carrying the dissolved organics attached to the bubble surface as water and air are merged in the skimmer changer. The bubbles containing amino acids, nasty stuff and proteins are entirely eliminated from the tank when they bubble up into the tube. The benefits of the best protein skimmer abound, below are some of them.
The benefits of a Protein Skimmer for your saltwater fish tank
- A protein Skimmer removes all the dissolved waste particles & materials from the water.
- The active-waste removal process consisting of micro-bubbles allows biological, chemical, & mechanical filtration leading to an environment full of oxygen.
- A protein skimmer maintains a healthy aquarium environment for superior water quality and clarity by removing nitrates, proteins and other harmful substances.
- The foamy waste material is permanently eliminated without getting back into the fish tank. In mechanical filter system, the invisible particles still remain part of the aquarium. Different contaminants like nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and phosphate are left in the tank as a result of the trapped waste break down when using a mechanical
- The skimmer restores and clears cloudy water to an unspoiled state and allows the light to thoroughly penetrate.
- Increases oxygen level, prevents acidic condition because of carbon dioxide buildup & nuisance algae growth.
- Due to the less dissolved organics, it will make a steadier pH possible.
- The protein skimmer system has the power to eliminate dissolved organics before allowing them to break down and turning into a favorite meal for nuisance algae.
- The regular removal of impurities from the water through the collection-cup provides a healthy and vigorous, overall environment.
Best protein skimmer brands for saltwater aquarium
|Image||Product Name||For Aquarium||Price|
SCA-302 180 Gallon Protein Skimmer
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Protein
CoralVue Technology BH-1000 Octopus
Coralife Super Skimmer With Pump
Reef Octopus Classic 100-HOB Protein Skimmer
To help you decide on the best protein skimmer, look at the top 5 options in depth without wasting time & energy on an unending list of options available anywhere.
The manufacturer has rated this model to be the best protein skimmer for your salty aquarium with the capacity of 180 gallons. The product is built-in a mighty Atman 2000 pump to produce huge bubbles to dissolve the organic material in the fish tank water. The additional collection is an especially worth mentioning feature of this new model. It offers the best value for the money as it is the best for large size tanks as well.
You no longer need to reposition your fish tank once you’ve bought this model. The manufacturer has added quite new features that are absent from other protein skimmers available in the market. You can fit it even in narrow spaces due to its special needle wheel design; this is the design that inspired people to rate it above all. It will take you around 15 minutes to bring together various parts.
This HOB skimmer is designed in a way that is quite effortless for the users to fit it to the aquarium. It can prove best for those fed up with the models that soon start producing an overheating effect. Being a unique product from the manufacturer and having a compact nature, you don’t need a huge space to deal with the size of the model. The product is appropriate for the aquariums of different sizes and shapes with the great capacity of around 100 gallons.
With this model, you are no longer worried about any increase in the electricity bill. The best part about using this product is that it is built-in high-performance fractionators for the foam and easy removal of the organic compounds found in the tank. Coralife Super Skimmer can be a great option for those looking for maintaining the water quality regularly.
The best part is that you no longer need to purchase accessories or instruments to install this model as it comes complete with all the parts. The model is especially recognized for its quick setup and long-lasting features. You don’t have to get it repaired over a long period of time provided that you get it cleaned on time. It may take you a bit more time for the installation as it is packed with more parts to assemble, yet the setup of the model is as easy as falling off a log.
Maintaining good water quality is the most important factor in setting up your fish tank. You may have noticed a great deal of attention paid to certain models of a protein skimmer to help you choose the right one for the right money. And now that when it is quite clear in your mind what a protein skimmer is and how it works for your aquatic animals; you can buy the one you think will offer you the best value for your investment.